All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never ever prior to have so lots of brand-new methods and scientific breakthroughs emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides countless individuals the chance to minimize or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and fast method to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist guarantee that you will enjoy with your results?
The crucial to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting referrals from other physicians or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be tricked by expensive ads about a particular laser. Choose the physician, not the laser center. Discover who will in fact do your treatment, then ask about that physician's qualifications (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Choose a physician who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye anchor laser surgeries. What a physician doesn't know can injure you.
4. Ask for information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery issue rates. Find another one if your medical professional won't tell you. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what measures are taken to prevent infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the risk of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount rate parachute. The prospective savings are not worth the risk of getting less than professional care!
Expect to see very well after LASIK, however do not expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as individual as each patient. Be careful of any doctor who assures 20/20 vision.
8. You probably are if you feel like you're getting a tough sell. Go elsewhere. You're not buying a vehicle; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will most likely use better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Think about waiting till the brand-new lenses are offered. Ask your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, do not forget the advantages: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK Get the facts eye surgery has actually enhanced the eyesight of countless individuals around the globe.